SKYWARN Recognition Day 2020
KH6OWL Darren Holbrook
I put this together from open source materials. I have not seen any plans for Hawaii but there may be plans but you can still get on the air Saturday. It will actually start in Hawaii on Friday at 1400 and go to Saturday at 1400.
SKYWARN Recognition Day 2020 (SRD 2020)
2020 Saturday, December 5th SKYWARN Recognition Day
Starts 00z Dec 5, Ends 24Z Dec 5th
1. Object SKYWARN Recognition Day serves to celebrate the contributions to public safety made by amateur radio operators Skywarn Spotters during threatening weather.
2. Date NWS stations may operate at any time during December 5, 2020 from 0000 - 2400 UTC.
3. Exchange: Call sign, signal report, QTH, and a one- or two-word description of the weather occurring at your site ("sunny", "partly cloudy", "windy", etc.).
4. Modes: NWS stations will work various modes including SSB, FM, AM, RTTY, CW, and PSK31. While working digital modes, special event stations will append "NWS" to their call sign (e.g., N0A/NWS). NWS offices may also participate via Social Media platforms throughout the 24-hour period. (Most NW Offices won’t allow non workers inside because of COVID)
5.Station Control Operator: It is suggested that during SRD operations a non-NWS volunteer should serve as a control operator for your station.
6. Event and QSL Information: The National Weather Service will provide event information via the internet. Event certificates will once again be electronic and printable from the main website after the conclusion of SRD.
On Echolink: https://www.weather.gov/crh/skywarn_echolink
For information regarding *WX_TALK* Conference Node on Echolink please visit the Voipwx.net. Voipwx.net also lists the schedule for when a particular office will be the control operator.
Hawaii does not have a weather office node on Echolink listed.
DMR (I have not seen which TG yet), DSTAR
Echolink conference node: 7203, IRLP reflector 9219
Submit Logs: https://www.weather.gov/crh/skywarnrecognition
(there will be a link to submit logs on this page)
N1mm doesn’t really work well since this is not a contest.
Computer logs ok but add details to notes
Paper logs ok
Summary of your activities, only upload your summary
Online form, do not log every contact with this form, just a summary
Completed by JAN 31st, 2021
There will be a google form to submit to do the summary.
Self-Spot, one place to do that is DX watch
Stay in General portion on HF
Be courteous on repeaters
Still not a contest
Event Specific Numbers, The #’s are only for SRD 2020
Individual SRD # will be posted at Skywarn Recognition Webpage https://www.weather.gov/crh/skywarnrecognition
The NWS will issue to all registrants a number to be used during SRD contacts. This is not a spotter ID number for use during severe weather events, it’s for the 2020 SRD only. Each number will include the three-letter ID of the registrant’s nearest NWS forecast office. For example, a Fort Wayne spotter’s SRD 2020 number might turn out to be “IWX-123”.
There will be 4 groups, 1. NWS Offices, 2. Amateur Radio Licensed Spotters, 3. Non-Amateur Spotters and 4. Untrained spotters
SRD Event #, include when interacting.
NOAA SKYWARN Page:
VOIP Hurricane Net:
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/skywarnrecognitionday
NWS plans informative, live videos on the Facebook group during the 24-hour period of SRD. Live streams on Facebook Group page about different information.
In addition, NWS encourages SKYWARN spotters to watch Twitter and Facebook during the SRD 24-hour period for posts using the hashtag #SKYWARN20 and to reply with their SRD numbers.
Twitter, search and use #skywarn20 https://twitter.com/search?q=%23skywarn20&src=typeahead_click
Email list: SRDemail@example.com This is an announcement only email list, so posts are limited to moderators. If you need to contact a moderator or have a question about SRD please email SRDfirstname.lastname@example.org.
CQ SKYWARN Recognition Day 2020 de your callsign
-The SRD Stuff
· NWS Office (if you are affiliated with that office),
· SRD # (use Phonetics)
Calling CQ on call CW SRD20
Forecast office 3-digit letters that id the office.
CQ SKYWARN Recognition Day 2020 de KH6OWL
KH6OWL de callsign
Callsign this is KH6OW, you are 59, Honolulu, name is Stacy, WX clear 85 degrees, HNL, SRD #______ back to you callsign.
Remember to have fun and This is an annual event to recognize the contributions of radio amateurs to the NWS SKYWAN Program.