Topics

Mental Health Resources

WH6ERV lynn b

Hi Everybody,

It's normal to feel anxious, stressed, and even depressed right now.  As "social distancing" increases, some people may begin to feel more isolated.  Here are some resources and tips from Mental Health of America (MHA):

With the cases of COVID-19 steadily increasing, we find ourselves in a unique and challenging time. As we struggle to address this health crisis, we are also faced with mental health challenges, including increased stress and anxiety.  We would like to offer a few resources and recommendations that we hope will be helpful, during this difficult time.

Resources:
  1. MHA offers free, anonymous mental health screeners including those for anxiety at  https://screening.mhanational.org/screening-tools?ref=MHAHI.
  2. The Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs” to 66746, provides crisis counseling and support to anyone in the U.S. experiencing distress from natural or human-caused disasters and public health emergencies.
  3. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Veterans Crisis Line is 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1). Text ALOHA to 741-741 for the Crisis Text Line. The Trevor Helpline is 1-866-4U-TREVOR (488-7386). The Crisis Line of Hawai‘I is 808-832-3100 (Oahu) and 1-800-753-6879 for neighbor islands.
  4. SAMHSA has tip sheets available: Coping During Infectious Disease Outbreaks http://bit.ly/2ThfO2X & Tips for Social Distancing, Quarantine, and Isolation During an Infectious Disease Outbreak http://bit.ly/2xpbCXQ.
  5. The SAMHSA DDH website https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/disaster-distress-helpline has information on emergency risk factors and resources for coping. It is also available in Spanish at http://bit.ly/2LgaVpc.

Recommendations:
  1. When asked to socially distance and self-isolate, it can be difficult for those experiencing depression or who are in need of emotional support. We can all help by reaching out through text, calling, or video to our social circles and those around us to ensure that they feel part of the community and still have connection to others. Remember to check-in with your kupuna.
  2. If you are home, it is important to focus on practicing self-care, managing stress, and not engaging in unhealthy coping skills.
  3. It is important to stay up-to-date with information regarding COVID-19 but over checking can lead to an increase in anxiety and a feeling of loss of control. Schedule a time to check-in during the day and stick to it.
  4. Remember that this too will pass and to focus on the future that is ahead of us all. Spread Aloha through your thoughts, words, and behaviors.

By standing together, we can move forward. Stand strong Hawai‘i.

This email was sent to lynn.bailey@...
Mental Health America of Hawaii · 1136 Union Mall, Suite 510 · Honolulu, HI 96813 · USA