Topics

Mauna Kapu

KH6WG Skawamae Kawamae

All,
The Mauna Kapu DMR and Analog repeaters are offline through tomorrow, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday in an attempt to recharge the batteries.

Aloha
de KH6WG

WH6DWF Todd

Steve,
If I remember correctly, you guys just replaced those batteries with 6 volt golf cart batteries last year.
I recommend that you intergrade that battery bank with a combination of 6 volt and 8 volt golf cart batteries in series and parallel circuits so that you have a total of 14+ volts and this should prevent this from happening again.
The other added benefit is that you will no longer require a charge controller because a 14 volt system is so close to the charging rate of 12 volt panels that charge between 18-22 volts at full sunlight conditions.
The repeaters themselves are usually rated at 13.8 volts +\- 15% so under 16 volts at full charge shouldn’t be an issue.
If you want these batteries to last for decades instead of years, you can add a $9 Pulse/Desulf circuit board, which you wire into place by connecting the negative to one end of the battery bank and the positive on the opposite end of the battery bank. These Pulse/Desulf boards are sold on eBay for around $9 each. For larger battery banks, you can use two of these independently.
There is another alternative, you can add a Pulse/Desulf solar panel but is more expensive to go this route, plus the panels are usually in the 20-50 watt range.
If you need help in future, I’m willing to help out whenever needed.

Todd WH6DWF

SEMPER FI

KH6WG Skawamae Kawamae

Thanks for your comments.  The battery bank is 8x12 AGM

de KH6WG

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 7:45 AM WH6DWF Todd <hamsterradio13@...> wrote:
[...]

WH6FQE RC Anderson

Is the DMR repeater ever going to go back online?

RC

Sent using the mail.com mail app

From: "KH6WG Skawamae Kawamae" <skawamae@...>
Date: September 28, 2020
To: main@earchi.groups.io
Subject: [earchi] Mauna Kapu
All,
The Mauna Kapu DMR and Analog repeaters are offline through tomorrow, Tuesday and possibly Wednesday in an attempt to recharge the batteries.

Aloha
de KH6WG

KH6WG Skawamae Kawamae

Someone might have just turned them on.  The site is 100% solar/battery.  I think we might have a bad panel pulling the charge voltage down.  Discussion is underway to upgrade the system.

de kH6WG