Kamehameha Day Special Event Call K6K

KH6FHI Joe Tabrah

Friday, June 11, 2021 06:00am HST - (16:00 UTC) Till 10:00pm HST  the special events station K6K will be on the air thanks to a gorup of local hams.  We urge all of you to contact K6K on as many bands and modes possible.  I attach an operating schedule to allow you to determine where and when to find K6K.

Our big Mahalo goes out to KH6ML, Michael for organizing this event.  The following is a detailed description of the event:

Amateur Radio Operators will activate special-event station K6K to
celebrate King Kamehameha the Great and Hawai’i’s rich history.  K6K
special event station will give HAMS a chance to add Hawaii to their
logs to earn WAS or DCXX awards.

After hearing about the cancellation of all King Kamehameha Celebration
parade events statewide, Michael Miller - KH6ML, a community emergency
coordinator, spoke with amateur radio operators and a few people with
the Commission to see if there was a level of interest to make the event
happen.

This station is authorized by the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission
as an official event. The event will give volunteer Hawaii Operators the
chance to test their communications equipment and skills and be ready to
assist when the cell phone and Internet fail.

Successful radio contacts are eligible to receive a special and
inscribed certificate bearing the full-color rendition of K6K: King
Kamehameha Celebration.

The Kamehameha Day Holiday was proclaimed by King Kamehameha I’s
grandson, Lot Kapuāiwa - King Kamehameha V, in 1871, followed by an
inaugural celebration of events on June 11, 1872. Years later, in 1939,
the Commission was formed under the Hawai‘i Territorial Legislature.

The FCC allows special-event stations to recognize and promote
activities, services, or events of a historical or uniquely appealing
nature. A special call sign is issued for a limited duration to identify
the station. K6K was requested and granted. During this time, stations
from around the islands and the world will try and make contact.

TO VIEW A SHORT CLIP OF 2020 lei draping and short history
https://fb.watch/4rB_6oMA7H/

Operating Rules:
     This is not a contest. The idea is to allow as many operators
     as possible to reach the contact station operators and learn
     about King Kamehameha the Great and why he is celebrated
     in Hawai’i.

     All radio operators must operate their stations strictly in
     accordance with their countries’ or FCC regulations. Any
     authorized amateur radio frequency may be used.

     Stations should listen for K6K calling “CQ K6K”

     The main modes will be SSB, FM, FT-8, and Winlink.
     Other Modes maybe be added.

     QSLS: eQSLs are available via LOTW. NO Paper QSLs.

     CERTIFICATES: Are self-printed (by you) for contacts with
     our Special Event Station. If you contact our Special Event
     Station, look up your call sign on the following link and print
     your own certificate: Link to follow. Please allow 30 days for
     all logs to be processed.

For more than 100 years, Amateur Radio — also called ham radio — has
allowed people from all walks of life to experiment with electronics and
communications techniques, as well as provide a free public service to
their communities during a disaster or emergency, all without needing a
cell phone or the Internet. 750,000 amateur radio licensees in the US,
and an estimated 3 million worldwide. Throughout COVID-19, HAMS around
the world have continued to be on the air practicing their skills, in
part as a way to help stay connected.

For more info:https://sites.google.com/view/k6khawaii  Or email
k6khawaii@...

K6K: King Kamehameha Celebration