Re: Leeward O`ahu Simplex Net, Sep 26th

WH6CPH Pono

Aloha,

This message is a follow-up to the "Leeward O`ahu Simplex Net" that occurred on Sunday, September 26th, from 1930 to 2051 HST.  Mahalo to the other twenty-one (21) participants who patiently stood by while we attempted relays and captured everyone's signal report.

Linked herein are the summary report (Google Sheets) and summary map (Google Earth) for your review.  As the data will show, this was a rather overwhelming number of participants.  Not that it was a problem; again I thank all participants for their patience as we worked through the roster.  The color green denotes those stations who confirmed possible two-way contact between both stations, whereas the color red denotes only possible one-way contact, not confirmed by the other station.  The color yellow, as in previous summary maps but not in this map simply due to the overwhelming number of participants, denotes confirmed contact between two stations but a weak signal whereby an attempt to transmit a message would be limited.

The intent of this net is to develop the ARES® leeward O`ahu district; it's operators, their equipment and capabilities; examine and improve communications within the district as well as outside of the district to agencies/organizations we may need to contact in a real incident.  The results did show an improvement in the number of operators from within the district.  Additionally, operating as net control from Barbers Point (Kapolei) proved successful to connect the two major parts of the district, the Wai`anae Coast and the `Ewa Plain.  I am challenged to provide a clear assessment of all the other contacts throughout the island but if the spatial data paints a picture for you that I can't readily identify, please feel free to share.

Lastly, here is a link (click here) to the folder of the information captured from this and last month's net.  As we continue down this path, giving purpose to the monthly net, information will continue to be added to this Google Drive folder.

Mahalo & continue to stay safe,

C. Pono Higa, WH6CPH
Leeward O`ahu District Emergency Coordinator (DEC)
Hawai`i Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES)
(808) 457-7243

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 8:44 AM C. Pono Higa <wh6cph@...> wrote:
Aloha,

Just a friendly reminder - all licensed amateur radio operators are welcome to participate in the “Leeward O`ahu Simplex Net” happening tomorrow, September  26th at 1930 HST, on the DEM RACES linked repeater system (primary: 146.8600 MHz, -600kHz, PL 88.5) and the leeward O`ahu simplex frequency (146.4450 MHz).  This net meets on the fourth Sunday of every month at 1930 HST.

We’ll begin on the repeater system, accepting check-ins by ARES district (leeward, north, south and windward); move to the simplex frequency where a roll call will be conducted; then move back to the repeater system for another roll call, this time providing signal reports of those stations you’d be able to carry a conversation with.

I ask that all participants familiarize themselves with the RS(T) system of signal reporting, providing “R” (readability) and “S” (strength) for each participant.  You can find more information doing a Google search for, “RST System.”  Please email me your signal report following the net at least by noon on the following day.

Regardless of your current station (handheld, mobile or base), all are encouraged to participate.  Even if you may not be able to receive-from/transmit-to net control, we’ll come back around to attempt relaying.

Here are the results of last months net for your review:

Mahalo & stay safe,