From: Oliver K6OLI <main+owner@areslax-northeast.groups.io>
To: "main@areslax-northeast.groups.io" <main@areslax-northeast.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 02:25:08 PM HST
Subject: [ARESLAX-Northeast] Lessons from Hurricane Ida

Hurricane Ida has passed New Orleans and is moving inland. While damaging the storm was not as devastating as Katrina had been.

As services are being restored and rescue evolves into recovery. A couple of lessons begin to emerge.

MSNBC: Search And Rescue Efforts Underway After Hurricane Ida Slams Louisiana
https://youtu.be/YxIaKv_PvZo

Takeaways

1. Your neighborhood community is your first line of support and rescue.

2. Searches start from "last known contact". (0:49)
Sending your location with your initial safe and well message and every time you move is always a good idea.
Whether you send Lat/Lon, What3Words, MGRS, street address or landmark matters much less than whether or not you send a last know location!

3. FirstNet Outage (2:30)
FirstNet is built on the same infrastructure as the cell phone network that supports it. The cell towers go, so does FirstNet.

For those interested the FCC Communications Status Report for the affected area as of August 30, 2021, is attached.
Doubtlessly service will be restored as soon as possible.

Our thoughts are with the people living in the affected areas.
--
73,
Oliver K6OLI

District Emergency Coordinator